Saturday, July 24, 2010

ONLINE DATING WARFARE

I have ventured into the world of online dating, something mentioned in a previous post. And since I have been in that world for a little while I thought I should send an update.
It should be known that I was told that you meet the one you end up within the first few weeks, which both fascinated and frightened me. Especially when I saw the people that match.com lined up for me. What the hell did I put in my profile that matched me with these men?? However it made the sorting process a bit easier for me. if they are wearing camo, or have any pictures where they are holding a dead animal or fish I can skip right over them. I realize I am in Idaho, but it frightens me a little that men would think that a picture of a bleeding carcass with vacant, staring eyes next to an eager, grinning boy who is supposed to be the I-am-the-provider-and- can-kill-things man would somehow appeal to the female population. I don’t know maybe I’m the weird one.
I am also lucky because I have a built in filter: a child. I just scroll on down to see what interests them in a woman and if they don’t want to deal with a mommy I greedily put them in my discard pile. It’s their loss honestly. My kid is the coolest!!
Now there is the age issue. I understand that I have my own filters that say I want people between this number and this number, but I feel like I should not be presented to anyone who isn’t in my age bracket even if I am in theirs. So all you creepy sixty year old men who want to find someone between 20 and 30 just stop! No one wants you! You need to be loaded for that to work and I would think that if you were rich enough to convince a young attractive woman to waste her time on you, I’m sure the golddiggers would be knocking at your door and you wouldn’t need to be on match.com. grr…
So within the first two weeks I did meet someone, a few actually. It really is an ego booster! All of a sudden you have someone every day who is saying they’d like to meet you or are interested, or if nothing else a wink (which are creepy and what the dirty old men often use). And the activity always picks up on the weekend. Suddenly all the single people in the valley are getting worried that they will spend another weekend alone and pathetic, or even worse a third wheel… again. Suddenly one in the morning on Thursday night is the perfect time to meet the one you were meant to be with (which I must say, this whole online dating thing has made me see the complete bullshit behind that idea).
At any rate I started dating someone and am still dating him… for the time being. But the crazy is calling me again! Something about the idea of seeing a page full of information that allows you to make a tentative life plan with someone you’ve never met. Today I might be satisfied with being the girlfriend of an engineer, but what if I want to watch a really intense season of football? I’m going to need to date that meathead with the “other” occupation. And what if there is a time in my life when I want to be really healthy? I could jumpstart it with that vegan kayaking enthusiast.. and that guy with the marketing job that travels all over the world, well he could be downright boring as long as he took me to Europe. And I will want to pop out another kid, that really hot guy with no income may have the perfect set of genes to have a truly adorable baby. *sigh* decisions, decisions…

1 comment:

  1. Weird I randomly checked your blog today in my endless procrastination from bar exam studying and 2 posts, what a bounty :-)
    Dave and I were so jealous that Bryn got to come and see everyone in Boise this month. Hopefully we will have time for a visit soon!

    2 awesome friends of ours met through an online dating service a few years ago. They are such an awesome couple, now happily married and just had an adorable baby. Totally makes sense to me.

    Speak soon :-)

    Kym

    ReplyDelete