Saturday, July 24, 2010

A Sister’s Confidence In Me (I’m posting some old ones today…)

I had the wonderful opportunity to stay with my sister and her family for a week. Granted it was a babysitting gig, but when the kids just spend the day playing, there’s not much I have to do other than break up fights and know how to staunch bleeding. Plus my mom came with me so we had better odds. And because my mom was with me that means I got to go a couple places with my sister, including to the guest speaker at the writers conference she was attending. My sister is a serious writer. She devotes time to it, scheduling a babysitter on a regular basis so she can have some writing time. She’s working on a few novels. I mean this chic is legit! I also like to write, I did it a lot growing up, mostly poetry. I found a love for short stories and personal essays in college, but also had my ego smashed by a less than supportive graduate student that taught the writing class I took. *grumble*
Back to my sister. When she took me to this conference she wanted me to meet the women in her writing group. They all write young adult fiction and one has published a few books. I was enjoying basking in my sisters shadow, following, her from place to place, and then she introduced me. “this is my sister Amanda, she’s a teacher and a writer.” Excuse me?! A writer? I wanted to deny it, but any attempts that I made were squashed by my sister’s insistence.
So. I’m a writer?
This idea stayed with me for a few weeks and I realized how happy it made me, and how much I had been longing to write again, but just didn’t see the point. I picked up a pen and started writing. Poems for now, since they were what I was most comfortable with when I wrote before, but I hope to get back to writing stories again. And because you read my blog, and I’m assuming you do since you are reading this, you will be exposed to my rebirth in writing. I will be posting the occasional piece on here from time to time just to feel justified in both writing and in keeping a blog, because let’s be honest, I don’t have much to write about. I’m a country song right now, lost my home, my job, my partner. I just have to have someone die and I’ll be right on course! Sorry. Morbid humor. But you have been warned, so consider yourself as such.

1 comment: